Given how important financial skills are to navigating life, it’s surprising that our schools don’t teach children about money.
How many of us look back at our childhood and wish we would’ve been taught more about money? A lot of people graduate from college without any idea how to manage their money or balance their bank account. Maybe you were one of them.
Now that you’ve learned more about managing your money right, I am sure you want to help your kids not make the same mistakes. But then, even when many parents know it’s important to teach their children about money matters at a young age, most don’t know where to start or how to go about it.
I have been through this situation wherein, despite knowing what to teach my kids about money, I lacked the structure and skills to teach them in the way they would learn best i.e., through games and fun-filled activities.
This was till I met Rachana Thamankar of Thrifty Gene. More on her and her initiative later, but let me take the pleasure to introduce you to a structured, games and activity-based workshop for kids to teach them about money and investing.
Welcome to Camp Millionaire – Money Workshop for Children
Camp Millionaire is a game and activity-based financial education program for children of age group 8 to 16 years. Kids will learn how to make, manage, multiply and donate their money wisely first hand in this day-long program and they will have fun doing it.
The main objective of this program is to provide a stimulating, fun-filled, learning environment where kids can feel safe exploring and learning the various principles, ideas, and skills needed to create a financially successful and responsible life.
Through the experiential nature of this program, kids will get a hands-on learning in dealing with money and investing as it works in real life.
Specifically, the kids will learn –
- The importance of how to ‘think’ about money correctly, i.e., why belief systems trump all financial knowledge and must be in line before anything else.
- A money management system called The Money Jars.
- The importance of saving and investing, how they are different and where financially successful people invest their money.
- Why the key to financial freedom is investing in assets that generate regular cash flow.
- Why developing and maintaining budgets are a key to financial success.
Structure of the Camp
Here is the structure for a one-day program –
Session One – Money Mindset
- Introduction to the Camp
- Name tag activity (meet and greet)
- Money animal activity
- Three realms of knowledge
- Financial independence (visualization exercise)
- Wants vs. needs activity
- Creating good habits (see, say, do)
- Money principle activity
- Money affirmations
- Money exercise
Session Two: Money Making
- Power of a Rupee (Activity)
- Anatomy of a paycheck
- Budget Review Wealth Work: Money discussion with parents
Session Three: How Money Multiplies
- Money games: Play to WIN
- Three pillars of wealth
- Money jar system
- How banks work
- Wealth Formula
- Magic of compound interest
- Rule of 72 activity
Session Four: Become an Investor
- Savings vs. Investing (short term vs. long term)
- Good debt vs. bad debt
- Assets vs. liabilities activity
- Financial Foursquare activity (concept of leverage)
- Make, manage, and multiply money game (passive income activity)
- Freedom jar (Getting started TODAY)
- Wrap up: What did you learn?
- Vocabulary contest – What action will you take?
- Moolah prizes
- Awards and recognition prizes
About the Instructor
The chief instructor of the Camp Millionaire program will be Rachana Thamankar, the founder of Thrifty Gene Learning, a company which imparts financial education to children, millennials and young adults.
Rachana is an engineer by training and a teacher by passion. She has a Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology, and has also completed an executive MBA joint program from Grenoble & University of London, majoring in Project Management & Corporate Finance. Through her Thrifty Gene initiative, Rachana aims to help children learn the value of money, which is exactly what she will be doing at the Camp Millionaire Workshop.
I will accompany Rachana in this Workshop by providing inputs to children and parents on the facets of thinking about and dealing with money.
How to Register
Our next sessions of Camp Millionaire will be held in New Delhi on 24th September (Sunday) and in Mumbai on 8th October (Sunday).
Venue in Delhi is – Rockland Hotel, B-207, C.R Park, Outer Ring Road, New Delhi-110019. Timing is – 10 AM to 5 PM.
Venue in Mumbai is yet to be decided, but it will be central. Timing is – 10 AM to 5 PM.
Here are the fee details –
- Fee – Rs 3500 (plus GST) per child (age group 8 to 14 years)
- Early Bird Discount – Rs 300 per child for first 20 registrations
- Group Discount – Rs 500 per child for 2 or more combined registrations
This fee includes the workshop and all material, plus vegetarian lunch, juices, and snacks for kids.
All net proceeds (profit after meeting all costs) from this program will go towards funding education of underprivileged kids Safal Niveshak sponsors in rural Rajasthan. So, even as you bring about a difference in the life of your child, you will also be adding a lot of value to the lives of a few underprivileged kids.
If you want your child to attend…
Here is an alternative to the online payment mechanism – Please do NEFT or Cheque payment of Rs 3776/- (Rs 3200 + 18% tax; for individual registrations) to the following account:
- Account Name: Skylab Media and Research
- Bank: HDFC Bank, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai
- Account No.: 08302020001357 (Current Account)
- IFSC Code: HDFC0000830
Once you make a NEFT transfer/Cheque payment, please send me an email with your funds transfer details, child’s name and age, and city.
By the way, if your child is attending, you are also invited during the final hour of the workshop to witness what he/she has learned during the session.
Write to me at – vishal[at]safalniveshak[dot]com – in case you have any questions etc.
Before I end, let me quote Warren Buffett who said…
The best investment you can make is an investment in yourself.
Camp Millionaire is that opportunity for your kids to start with a great investment in themselves.
P.S. If you want us to conduct Camp Millionaire in any other city, please fill this short form to show us your interest.
P.P.S. Here are some pictures from the first session of our Camp Millionaire session in Bangalore recently…
Can my 18 year old also attend this ?
Ankur Agrawal says
Great Initiative. Reminds me of ‘Secret Millionaire Club’
Ramaraju Chekuri says
Please conduct similar workshop for woman / homemakers too.
Very nice post. it’s Really helpful
gopal bhandari says
thanks for your wonderful post.