Given how important financial skills are to navigating life, it’s surprising that our schools don’t teach children about money.
How many of us look back at our childhood and wish we would’ve been taught more about money? A lot of people graduate from college without any idea how to manage their money or balance their bank account. Maybe you were one of them.
Now that you’ve learned more about managing your money right, I am sure you want to help your kids not make the same mistakes. But then, even when many parents know it’s important to teach their children about money matters at a young age, most don’t know where to start or how to go about it.
I have been through this situation wherein, despite knowing what to teach my kids about money, I lacked the structure and skills to teach them in the way they would learn best i.e., through games and fun-filled activities.
This was till I met Rachana Thamankar of Thrifty Gene. More on her and her initiative later, but let me take the pleasure to introduce you to a structured, games and activity-based workshop for kids to teach them about money and investing.
Welcome to Camp Millionaire – Money Workshop for Children
Camp Millionaire is a game and activity-based financial education program for children of age group 8 to 16 years. Kids will learn how to make, manage, multiply and donate their money wisely first hand in this day-long program and they will have fun doing it.
The main objective of this program is to provide a stimulating, fun-filled, learning environment where kids can feel safe exploring and learning the various principles, ideas, and skills needed to create a financially successful and responsible life.
Through the experiential nature of this program, kids will get a hands-on learning in dealing with money and investing as it works in real life.
Specifically, the kids will learn –
- The importance of how to ‘think’ about money correctly, i.e., why belief systems trump all financial knowledge and must be in line before anything else.
- A money management system called The Money Jars.
- The importance of saving and investing, how they are different and where financially successful people invest their money.
- Why the key to financial freedom is investing in assets that generate regular cash flow.
- Why developing and maintaining budgets are a key to financial success.
Structure of the Camp
Here is the structure for a one-day program –
Session One – Money Mindset
- Introduction to the Camp
- Name tag activity (meet and greet)
- Money animal activity
- Three realms of knowledge
- Financial independence (visualization exercise)
- Wants vs. needs activity
- Creating good habits (see, say, do)
- Money principle activity
- Money affirmations
- Money exercise
Session Two: Money Making
- Power of a Rupee (Activity)
- Anatomy of a paycheck
- Budget Review Wealth Work: Money discussion with parents
Session Three: How Money Multiplies
- Money games: Play to WIN
- Three pillars of wealth
- Money jar system
- How banks work
- Wealth Formula
- Magic of compound interest
- Rule of 72 activity
Session Four: Become an Investor
- Savings vs. Investing (short term vs. long term)
- Good debt vs. bad debt
- Assets vs. liabilities activity
- Financial Foursquare activity (concept of leverage)
- Make, manage, and multiply money game (passive income activity)
- Freedom jar (Getting started TODAY)
- Wrap up: What did you learn?
- Vocabulary contest – What action will you take?
- Moolah prizes
- Awards and recognition prizes
About the Instructors
The chief instructor of the Camp Millionaire program is Rachana Thamankar, the founder of Thrifty Gene Learning, a company which imparts financial education to children, millennials and young adults.
Rachana is an engineer by training and a teacher by passion. She has a Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology, and has also completed an executive MBA joint program from Grenoble and University of London, majoring in Project Management & Corporate Finance. Through her Thrifty Gene initiative, Rachana aims to help children learn the value of money, which is exactly what she does at the Camp Millionaire Workshop.
Rachana is accompanied by Vishal Khandelwal, the founder of Safal Niveshak, and one who is passionate about teaching people to become sensible in the ways they manage their hard-earned money. Vishal has been doing this for the past six years, after quitting his job in the stock market.
Safal Niveshak is currently a tribe of 32,000+ people, and was recently ranked among the best value investing blogs globally.
Your Child’s Best Investment in Herself
Let me quote Warren Buffett who said…
The best investment you can make is an investment in yourself.
Camp Millionaire is that opportunity for your kids to start with a great investment in themselves.
If you want us to conduct Camp Millionaire in your city, please fill this short form to show us your interest.