Jason Rivera is the Chairman, CEO and Founder of Rivera Holdings, an investment holding company. He is a self-taught deep value, contrarian, and special situations investor. He concentrates for the most part on companies under US$ 1 billion in market cap. In this interview, Jason talks about how he started in the field and his evolution and experience over the years.
Safal Niveshak (SN): Could you tell us a little about your background, how you got interested in value investing?
Jason Rivera (JR): My start in value investing was a bit unusual and accidental. I started learning about investing out of necessity 10 years ago, when I was dealing with severe dizziness issues. At the time, I could do nothing but lay around all day because the dizziness was so bad. So, I could not work or do much of anything. But when my wife told me she was pregnant with our first daughter, I knew I had to do something that would allow me to provide for my family at some point when I got healthy.
At the time, I thought about going into three different lines of work. None of which could require going to college because I wouldn’t have been able to due to the dizziness. One was to become a politician but I figured the world didn’t need any more politicians.
- Spotlight: Big ideas from Value Investing and why applying them in your investment decision making will be a great deal
- InvestorInsights: Interviews with experienced value investors, learners, and deep thinkers
- StockTalk: Thorough analysis of business models of companies (without any recommendations)
- Behaviouronomics: Deep analysis of human behaviour and how it impacts investment decision making
- BookWorm: Reviews of the best books on Value Investing and related subjects
- Free Course – Financial Statement Analysis for Smart People (otherwise priced at Rs 6,900)
- Archives: Instant access to our huge archive from the past three years